I’m gearing up to go back to grad school with this power shake, i.e. drowning my sorrows in this power shake. It’s actually really thick, delicious, and nutritious to boot. I’ve been making a batch in the morning, drinking half before my workout, then the other half afterwards. It’s quick and easy to make, gives me tons of energy, and tastes great. Can’t ask for much more from a fast breakfast.
Here’s the taste/nutritional breakdown: the soymilk provides calcium and vitamin D, the agave nectar adds sweetness without going crazy on your glycemic index (it’s easier for your body to process because it’s a more complex sugar than plain sugar), the ground flaxseed adds a wonderful nutty flavor and provides tons of fiber, the blueberries add sweetness and provide more fiber, banana adds a thickness and provides potassium, and the soy protein powder adds a frothy thickness and provides muscle building protein!
- 1 ½ cups of soymilk (I use regular flavored soymilk, but you can use Vanilla flavored soymilk, or regular Skim milk, if you prefer)
- 1/8 cup (or 1 ½ tablespoons) of agave nectar (I bought mine at Costco–these days you should be able to find it at most grocery stores)
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed (available at most grocery stores, or, if you can’t find it there try GNC)
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 2 tablespoons of soy protein powder
- Start by putting the soymilk in the blender. Add the agave nectar, ground flaxseed, frozen blueberries, the sliced banana, and the soy protein powder.
- Mix/blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute.